GAPS Diet | Paleo | GF | DF Serves 2
A refreshing and tasty sweet salad with the delicious zing of fresh ginger – the walnuts help balance out the tanginess of the apple and ginger very well so I wouldn’t recommend leaving this part out.
This salad is full of fiber and is very detoxifying with the fresh ginger and celery. It’s going to be most nutritious if you make this while apples are fresh and in season. Apples are often important but they hold more nutrition in them when they are locally sourced as they won’t have been sitting in storage for very long (holistic cooking tip).
This salad actually came from my attempt to make a detoxifying green juice in my food processor but I learnt that I needed a juicer for this… but luckily it was actually quite delicious as a tasty salad for my lunch instead!
Celery is as popular ingredient for juicing in particular because it’s said to be great for your skin. Below are some of the other top health benefits you can get from eating celery.
Note: you will need a food processor to make this recipe.
Why I Love Celery
1. Celery is a rich source of antioxidants
2. Celery reduces inflammation (which has been linked to many illnesses.)
3. Celery supports digestion – Pectin-based polysaccharides in celery can decrease instances of stomach ulcers, improve the lining of the stomach and modulate stomach secretions (proven in animal studies).
4. Celery is rich in vitamins and minerals with a low glycemic index + it is low in calories.
5. Celery has an alkalizing effects – the minerals in celery like magnesium and iron have a nutralizing effect on acidic foods + these minerals are important for bodily functions.
1 green apple with skin removed
2 celery sticks, chopped
1.5 cm of ginger root thinly sliced
Juice of half a lemon
4 leaves of organic spinach or 1/2 a cup of compact baby spinach
1/2 a teaspoon of raw honey
2 handfuls of raw natural walnuts
Get fresh recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
- Place all of the ingredients accept for the walnuts in a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds until everything is finely chopped up but not pureed.
- Serve up in bowls with the walnuts sprinkled on top.